Monday 21 April 2008

Elbow, Carvoerio, Stag and back

Booking today off was such a good idea. I'm exhausted, but happily reflective on a brilliant week...

Last weekend started on a high with our good friends Chris and Marianne coming down to stay with us. A great five days of spending quality time in each other's company, punctuated with some lovely food (notably my five hour roast lamb) and a bit too much drinking. C & M did the London tourist thing during the days we were at work, then we went to Brixton Academy to see Elbow - one of our favourite bands. Top gig - maybe not the best we've seen them, but good anyway. 

No sooner had Chris and Marianne gone, than it was time for me to head off for my old mucker Bongo's stag do. We (his mates) have been looking forward to it for months and there has been a fine balance of planning and keeping the whole thing a secret in the build up. I was the only one flying from the south and sleepy eyed I got to Gatwick for a 7am flight to Faro, Portugal. After grouping the stags together and getting our wheels we set off to Carvoerio. A beautiful part of the world and very chilled (off season you see). Our villa was superb and had a perfect bedroom in the top tower for King Stag. The weather was a bit up and down, meaning there wasn't much pool/sun bathing time, but this didn't stop us making the most of everything (apart from the planned fishing trip). We sourced supplies from the uber-massive/random supermarket then got into stag mode. Four brilliantly messy days followed - a few memorable highlights were: An amazing sunset hike along the Carvoerio coastline; the first and last nights out (ouch); Matt getting us very lost on an impromptu kebab mission (but royally redeeming himself later); visiting Portimao and Albuferia; the amazing and abundant seafood; the friendliness of the Portuguese people we met; Matt and Jamie's beer game; getting some quality time with old friends I haven't seen for a while and making new ones; seeing Bongo enjoying the whole shindig so much!

Got home at 2:30am this morning feeling very broken, but very happy to see C again - I think she secretly enjoyed a few days without me and got some her-time in! Spent today recovering, doing jobs, drinking endless cups of tea, voting for the London Mayor (unlucky Boris) and attempting to get my head into a pile of tedious paperwork I need to clear...I think I'll do it tomorrow! Back to work-mode tomorrow, then another weekend away from Londinium to come. Big Happy Birthday wishes to my bro, Holly and Sophie Pie who happen to share birthday's with 'er Majesty. 

Obrigado, boa noite y adeus para agora.


1 comment:

Matt said...

I didn't harf like your fat newsy wordy post there. It's brought back some memories of a great unforgettable few days on the Algarve.

These things don't half fly by. I like adventures.. and I also think my better half enjoyed a few days without me.. (but by jimmeny, it was ver ver nice to get back to the ones I love the most.) Absinth makes the heart grow fonder.