Sunday 8 June 2008

...and relax...


Sleep patterns, now there's a thing. I am lucky in that I generally sleep quite well, even in my sad face periods. During the week (and especially in winter) I find it a real struggle to get out of bed in the morning. It's not because I don't want to get up, even though work might make it little less easy, rather I feel constantly knackered. When the weekend comes I always promise myself a lie-in, but wake up about 5am, think about stuff for a bit, try to wake C up, get a frosty response and so I get up. I love that time in the morning when no one else is up, dawn is coming up (hi dawn) and everything outside is coming to life. I usually make myself a nice cup of coffee, put the radio on and 'do stuff'. My internal clock has this setting at weekends...'you've worked hard all week, now get up and make the most of the weekend'. Ironically I am usually the first to go to bed...not because I am a lightweight (it has been mentioned in the past), but because the same internal clock just shuts the rest of my body down. There are more and more occasions where the second wind takes effect and I can carry on into the next afternoon, but these are random. My old mucker DD has the opposite - he can function on very little sleep (and keep his sense of humour as well - respect). Maybe that's what having kids does for you - you just learn to function on less. Something I wait to experience with interest. So that's sleep...

Our first 'free' weekend for about 2 months came around. Plans were chucked around...exhibitions...mammoth walks, but in the end what we settled for no plans and decided to just see what happens. A more lazy relaxing weekend I haven't had for a long time. Read the papers in near entirety, listened to the radio, ate comfort food, walked in the common and recharged. Saturday night was a break from the plan by going to see Maria and Rus in their new trendy pad in Old Street. Very nice it is too and even has cool triangular balcony. Had a top nosh dinner then went out to sample some of their new locals. Old Street has over the past 5 years become very 'cool'. There are some great pubs and venues, but to be honest it started feeling like a Nathan Barley convention sometimes, with everyone trying to out cool each other and wondering who's famous/popular so they can latch on to them. Maybe because I'm not very cool anymore (C says different)...no, actually some of the people were just a bit pretentious and fake. Sorry for the negativity there - just an observation - feel free to comment...oh, and I had the worst pint of Theakstons ever, ever, ever...that didn't help.

Spent today mostly horizontal on Wandsworth Common reading more papers, my book and soaking up the very hot sun. Very lazy and well deserved. Now watching Glastonbury the film and although I still hold the same values as I did when I first started going to festivals 1989, can't help feeling I've sold out a little bit. Unavoidable possibly, or I just grew to like home comforts a bit more than I did back then (well hot water is quite nice in winter isn't it). Hey ho - Latitude is not far away...can't wait. 

Not going to touch on work too much, but last week was without doubt the busiest I've ever had, and the one to come with be more so. Also, I'm branding a new company (and everything that goes with branding) on my own on top of my already packed project list. Good experience and dare I say fun...a bit more time wouldn't have gone a-miss though. Story of a designer's life.

Fair thee well.

No comments: