Thursday 2 October 2008

Escape to Veneto

A great few weeks have passed - packed with fun stuff, good times and cool things. I'm not in the mood to waffle on, so here's a bit of a round-up:

First things first - a very happy birthday to my old muckers Matt and Mark (who were born a day apart). Sorry I couldn't be there to share the celebrations, but we'll make up for it soon. 

A long awaited and much needed week away came around for C and I. Having left booking to the very last minute we headed off to Veneto in Italy. Based in Lide di Jesolo, just around the lagoon from Venice, we had a top week of relaxing and doing stuff. Lido is without doubt the largest 'resort' I have ever seen - 17km long with a main strip just as long parallel to the beach. Not really our sort of thing, but a decent enough base to explore the region. One good thing is that Lido is where the Italians tend to go for their hols, so it was relaxed and lacking in drunk Brits. The food was amazing too and we met some cool people plus quickly scoped out the only bars with live bands worth a mention. On our travels we went to Venice (amazing place - love it), Verona and Lake Garda (both equally beautiful) - all brilliant. Felt recharged, a stone heavier and ready to face the world again. Look a load of photos and videos

Read a brilliant book whilst away - 'Once while travelling' by Tony Wheeler. In a nutshell it's the Lonely Planet story about how Tony and his missus Maureen travelled across Europe and Asia to Oz in the early 70s on very little before there was any sort of travel infrastructure, wrote a guide on how to do it...then went from there. A fascinating read and made me inspired, but green with envy and wanting to go travelling again...one day. On the subject - Bon Voyage to John and Rhainnon who are about to embark on a year long trip of a life time - be safe guys, take every opportunity, enjoy every moment and be good ambassadors for Yorkshire!

On our return we celebrated C's 30th in boozy style down at The Holy Drinker on Northcote Road - very long, happy, boozy night and cool to catch up with so many people. C was a happy bunny (though slightly and temporarily stunned by leaving her 20s behind)! A fairly hellish week back at work followed for both of us, punctuated by seeing Bloc Party - my anniversary present to C. Good gig - they played well, though not sure about the new songs. I wasn't on form at all and didn't really get into it - sorry C! 

So that's up to date. A great weekend beckons which I will no doubt blog when the mood takes me - apologies for laziness in advance. I want to write things more meaningful, than just a round up of my daily bobbins, but at the very least this will be a diary I look back on to remember such bobbins. Feeling a bit out of sorts again at the moment and disillusioned by things - the bigger picture keeps flashing in front of my eyes when I get side tracked and fretted by daily blips. Need to keep focused. Sure it will pass. Oh look, there it goes...

Top tunes recommendations: The new GlasVegas, Mogwai and Kings of Leon albums. The first two are great, the third is effortless genius - I love that band.

For now...

2 comments:

Matt said...

just a quick note - glad you had a nice time away! off to have a quick look at your photos then off sleeps. (off out walking first thing)

Matt said...

Eventually back to continue the bits that I wanted to say back then but didn't have the time at the time..


I like your blog. It's cool having a digest that was brain dumped at the same time.

One thing I wanted to pick up on - you said "I want to write things more meaningful, than just a round up of my daily bobbins, but at the very least this will be a diary I look back on to remember such bobbins. " - If you want to write things more 'meaningful' cool, but don't worry about it not being 'meaningful'. Having been a blogger for years longer than all you upstart pip squeaks, I can happily report that the joy of having a blog archive is all about the reminder of what you did. Where you were. Who you saw etc - not the transient meanings.philozenchi. You hint at the feelings - that's enough to act as an emotive bookmark (for self) but the real value of blogroll is the archived history of facts (& microfacts). How long have you had it now? What were you doing this time last year?

RE bigger picture - heart,head,dream.. one foot in front of the other will get you there better than standing still.


Or something. There now. Ooh look! it's cup of tea O'Clock!