Sunday 22 March 2009

Happiness is six strings and a sparkle


Oh joys of joys! This weekend I took delivery of a little treat that I promised myself when I could afford it - a new guitar. Had my heart set on a candy apple red Jaguar or Jazzmaster, but whilst in Oxford a few weekends ago I tried out a Gretsch Electromatic G5126. I pretty much fell in love with it there and then. It has an incredible tone; that 'Gretsch' sound that everyone prattles on about; very low action, so a super fast neck; an original Bigsby trem. unit...and it's sparkly and looks kick-ass! I have been playing it acoustically and it purrs like a pussycat with an infinite sustain, but plugged in with some dirty distortion it screams like a banshee and has a MASSIVE sound - perfect for the punchy ethereal stuff I like to play. The only thing that slightly concerns me is that is huge - when I wear it standing up it almost completely covers the mid part of my person and the hips of the guitar are nearly 16inches across, but it looks so cool I can live with it! Also, bought a Vox Tonelab LE effects bank as well, as going to sell off all my individual pedals. It too is fantastic.

No comments: