Wednesday 23 January 2008

Bugged


Dragged my poorly self into work - had lots to catch up on even after just one day off. Still feeling like the new boy in my job and forming relationships with lots of people - some sit next to me, some spread across Europe, plus expectations and responsibilities are a lot higher now. It's cool and I have a lot more autonomy and influence than I did before, but it's a wee bit scary still. I still feel pretty ill - screaming headache, stomach cramps and hot flushes, but had to go in for a bit - deadlines and all that - pah! The tube is particularly nasty when you are ill which didn't help, and even nastier when it's the Northern Line at peak time! I just put my headphones in and bury my head in my book - the journey generally flies then. At least it's not as hot as in the summer. It can get very sauna like (without the towels). Apparently temperatures regularly exceed the level that is legal to transport cattle in the UK...and we pay for the pleasure! Definitely one of the down sides of living in London. I could always cycle in I guess, but have seen how people drive in rush hour!

Currently reading 'The Joke's Over - The Memoirs of Hunter S.Thompson' by Ralph Steadman. Great book so far - a fascinating, anarchic, excessive and chaotic ride through a variety of globe trotting assignments with the father of Gonzo journalism, written and illustrated by Wales' finest satirical/political cartoonist. 9-5 didn't apply to these blokes! 

Not going to make a habit of posting what I'm having for dinner, as it could get quite boring (though I love food so you never know), but on the menu tonight is Pork, Bramley Apple and Black Pudding sausages with carrot, tatties and chive mash - yum. Caroline is back tomorrow after a week away at her show - can't wait, though better get some 'shed' time in before I loose control of the TV again!

2 comments:

Matt said...

sounds like a good read. I've only read fear and loathing in las vagas.. great pace, great read.

What is 'shed time' ?

Vapourtrail said...

Shed time is 'time you would spend in a shed if you had one i.e. play station, non-girly stuff.