Friday 25 January 2008

Koko no-no

After a fairly frustrating day at work (seemingly spent it sorting out other people's issues and not my own) I made my way to Camden to meet a few mates. Chowed on a some quality Dim Sum at Teachi on Parkway, then made our way to KoKo via a few pubs.

Teenage Fanclub are one of my favourite bands - I have loved them since first hearing Bandwagonesque and seeing them at Reading circa 89/90. Tonight should have been a nostalgic night listening to old favs and new stuff from the melodic scots. It was not to be: Firstly they were so quiet - not that they are known for being a really noisey band, but still I like my eardrums to rumble at least a little bit when I see a band. They played a good selection of old and new (including my favs StarSign, The Concept and Radio), but to be honest they seemed to just be going through the motions. I was actually bored and didn't seem to be alone in feeling that. The whole gig had a weird, egdey vibe. What really finished the evening for me was when a friend was told to 'be quiet' whilst saying something to me (quietly)! I left early - something I have rarely done at a peformance of any kind, and luckily Caroline was still up when I got home. (she's just returned from a week away at a show at the NEC)

Hmm...maybe they just had a bad night. Hey ho - nearly the weekend!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Pah! What a load of bobbins! being told to be quiet at a gig is about as ridiculous as being told "please shout as loud as you can" at a library.

I could understand it if it were some uber jazz, super nerdly thing, but teenage fanclub? they strike me as the kind of band that have fun in their mission directive. Certainly it wouldn't matter if a few decibels were shaved off for a half second whilst your friend... spoke!

Perhaps it's because you're not a teenager anymore and the shusher, was in fact a mole, employed by the band to bad vibe fans what are no longer teenagers.

I'd write in and complain.