Sunday 27 January 2008

The first 7 days

A cool weekend all-in-all, complimented by some glorious weather down here in Londinium. Caroline and I went for a nice long walk in Richmond Park on Saturday morning. Definitely my favourite place in London to stretch the legs, get some fresh air and blow away the cobwebs. It's big enough to make you feel you're nowhere near a city and has lots of amazing features - proper hills, woods, lakes, herds of (very tame) deer, beautiful stately lodges...even parrots! It used to be a Charles I royal hunting park when the deer were introduced in 1637 and has evolved ever since. Went for a late pub lunch, then on to the cinema to see Sweeney Todd...

Usually the thought of a musical film fills me with dread (I was weened on Star Wars, NOT Mary Poppins), but this was brilliant. A dark, sometimes comedic, sometimes gruesome but utterly engrossing film. Daddy and Mummy goth (Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter) put in equally impressive performances and totally gelled in their twisted characters and dialogue. The CGI, songs and great supports (including a camp italian Sacha Baron Cohen) made one of the most enjoyable films I've seen for a long time. Thumbs up.

Caroline went to Paris this morning for a work thing on Monday, so more shed time for me. Did a good long stint on Star Wars Lego, then drove down to Battersea for a photo sesh. Currently trying to fight off the Sunday blues with left over fish pie - a busy week ahead.

A week into my first blog and I'm really enjoying it. 230 hits in week one and I only know of a handful of people that read it, so to whomever else there is I hope you enjoy reading my random dribblings!

1 comment:

daren said...

i have been in two minds about a singing Jonny Depp and HB-carter... but i'll take your review at face value and go see now...

said it before privately but will now say it in public... brilliant that you've joined the blogging madness. like the man dd said... dont think just blog.
:)