Sunday 25 January 2009

The end of the old Republic


One of our country's most influential, innovative and copied design agencies is dead. Even the mighty Designer's Republic was not safe in these uncertain economic times and after a few key clients have fled and untimely tax bills have dropped on the table, they have decided to close shop. Its founder Ian Anderson has spoken about the decision in this weeks Creative Review and mentions that maybe this was a natural end and a blessing in disguise, as the agency had become more account management based, instead of the original off the wall creative ethos. It's a shame, but I suspect Pheonix's will rise from the ashes.

The Designers Republic have had a huge influence on me from even their earliest years and along with a select few others (Peter Saville, Saul Bass, Julian Opie) encouraged me to follow an education and career (eventually) in Graphic Design. Their exposure in the youth culture I was immersed in at the time i.e. indie/electro music; console games; packaging; cultural magazines; festivals, were so perfectly timed for me. Waiting for the next PWEI record to come out was nearly as exciting for the cover artwork as the music - I loved it...and don't get me started on the T-Shirts - I can't look at a Pepsi logo without seeing my more favoured DR bastardisation! The sleek fluid post-fonts, bold tracking forms and layering, elegant detailing, vivid palette, love of symmetry, rotation and movement - all of it is such a visual feast. If you aren't familiar with their stuff I strongly recommend spending 20mins looking at an amazing body of work.

On to other things. Well, I'm sort of hibernating a bit, and sort of keeping busy and getting back out there at the same time - looking after myself, but also very much thinking of others. Friends and family have been and continue to be brilliant and I am so grateful I can't say. No need to say too much more, mainly out of respect for others and secondly because it won't be productive, cathartic or interesting for anyone else to read. Maybe at a date in the future I will return to all this and feel the need to talk about it on this blog - maybe not. 

No comments: