Sunday 11 January 2009

Che - Part One

Last night I went to the flicks on my own for the first time in longer than I can remember - a bit weird at first as was probably the only person there 'unaccompanied', but quite enjoyed zoning out and losing myself in the visual treat that awaited. Che - Part One is Stephen Soderbergh's fantastic story (the first part anyway) of Ernesto 'Che' Guevara's journey from young politically conscious Argentine Doctor to iconic revolutionary and freedom fighter. What a brilliant film - peppered with so much detail, absorbing cinematography and passionate, inspiring characters. Benicio Del Toro is just brilliant, as is Demian Bichir as the hyper-driven Fidel Castro. The strength of spirit and belief in a cause for the common good of a people I have rarely seen in a film. I loved the huge sweeping shots of the Cuban jungle (hmm...itchy feet) and Che's commanding, yet humbling address at the UN. A life affirming and heart warming story of a collective dream becoming reality through self believe, sacrifice, fight and passion. Amazing stuff - 9/10.

1 comment:

daren said...

i will take your review at face value... one to look out for then. :)